The EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Large-Area Electronics (LAE) brings together four UK academic Centres of Excellence in LAE, at the University of Cambridge (Cambridge Integrated Knowledge Centre, CIKC), Imperial College London (Centre for Plastic Electronics, CPE), Swansea University (Welsh Centre for Printing and Coating, WCPC) and the University of Manchester (Organic Materials Innovation Centre, OMIC), to tackle the research challenges of scale-up and high-yield manufacturing of multi-functional systems in order to support the emergence of a vibrant UK manufacturing industry in this sector.
The primary purpose of the National Outreach Manager will be to develop and implement a national outreach strategy for the EPSRC Centre to create an outwardly-focused national centre, acting on behalf of the whole UK Large Area Electronics sector:
- to build an active research community in LAE,
- to improve the international profile of UK research in this field,
- to act as a primary point of contact for LAE research,
- to assist the LAE community increase the impact of their research and
- to engage with the wider public.
In this capacity, you will be responsible for:
- networking with the Centre’s partners, other academic institutions and industry to support a national community in the large area electronics field
- promoting the work of the EPSRC Centre and the wider LAE sector to policy makers, industry, academia, media and the public through marketing and communications activities including branding, web presence, newsletters, annual reports, etc
- organising internal and external events for the EPSRC Centre including an annual conference, seminars and workshops
- identifying opportunities for collaboration with potential industry partners and other research institutions
You will also work on a number of CIKC projects, including business development for various CIKC technologies, project management, dissemination activities, developing funding and partnership opportunities and proposal generation.
The role will require significant technical background experience in large area electronics in order to liaise successfully with both industry and academic contacts in the field as well as to contribute to content generation for marketing and website materials. You will be educated to at least degree level and a PhD in a field relevant to large area electronics would be advantageous. In addition, you will have experience of preparing marketing and communications materials, creating and/or running a network organisation, managing websites and social media, organising large events and managing complex projects. Business development experience in a relevant field would also be desirable.
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 5 years in the first instance.
Applications including a completed CHRIS 5 form (Parts I and III)http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/hr/forms/chris5/ should be submitted to the Department of Engineering HR Office by email to email@example.com or by post to The HR Office, Department of Engineering, Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1PZ.
Please quote reference NM02108 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
- Further Particulars
Further particulars and person specification for National Outreach Manager
DEPARTMENT/LOCATION - Department of Engineering
SALARY - £37,382-£47,314
REFERENCE - NM02108
CATEGORY - Academic-related
PUBLISHED - 8 November 2013
CLOSING DATE - 2 December 2013