The Organic Materials Innovation Centre (OMIC)
The Organic Materials Innovation Centre (OMIC) in the School of Chemistry at the University of Manchester provides expertise in the development of new conducting, semi-conducting and dielectric materials and their formulation for controlled deposition – printing onto a wide range of substrates.
OMIC helps companies innovate and grow through access to leading edge science in organic materials. Applications being targeted through collaboration with industry and other academic institutions include displays, OFETs, photovoltaics and sensors.
The department has key expertise and skills in the areas of:
- Synthesis of new organic materials (small molecule, polymers and conjugated liquid crystals) for electronics.
- New routes to high volume synthesis of quantum dots and nano-dimensional materials.
- Inkjet printing of functional materials including conductive metals and electro-active materials.
- The development of novel sensor technology based on organic thin film transistors
- Fabrication and testing of OFET devices.